Matt Maher is a popular songwriter and worship leader in the Evangelical world. His music is heard in our Evangelical Protestant churches. You may not recognize his name, but you will probably know his songs. The thing is that he is also a devout practicing Roman Catholic. I wasn’t aware of that until recently.
If you read FOX’S BOOK OF MARTYRS and MARTYRS MIRROR you will learn that many born again Christians were martyred because they stood against the soul damning false Gospel of Roman Catholicism, especially the false teaching of the Eucharist and Transubstantiation.
Matt Maher has been quoted as saying… “It’s funny but more and more I see myself as an apologist and as an evangelist.”
If you read about Matt Maher around the web you will learn that…
– He believes that the Eucharist IS Jesus and the center of his Catholic faith.
– He is quoted as saying… “…there are things we sing about from a Catholic context. … I think the Eucharist is just inherently a part of Christianity…”
– He writes worship songs promoting Roman Catholic beliefs, such as “Adoration”, a song sung during Roman Catholic Eucharistic adoration.
– He refers to Pope Francis as the “Holy Father” and has performed for the Pope on more than one occasion.
– He has been called a musical missionary.
– His goal is ecumenical unity and calls his music “a different kind of ecumenism”.
We born again Christians do not believe the Roman Catholic Gospel that Matt Maher believes, and we should guard against Roman Catholic evangelism through the subtlety of music. (Maybe not so subtle!)
John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.